Have you ever wondered if being a safe driver could save you money on auto insurance? One way to lower your premium is State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save program, designed to reward safe drivers with discounts on their auto insurance. With many car insurance cost factors you can’t control, programs like Drive Safe and Save allow potentially lower rates based on monitoring driving habits.
What is State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
If you already have a State Farm policy, this is a program worth enrolling in if you qualify based on potential savings opportunities. Even drivers who are not State Farm customers but want to save money on auto insurance might consider switching providers, as the savings from this discount potentially reduce the already competitive rates of one of the major ones. automobile insurers in the country. With positive reviews from existing policyholders, the Drive Safe and Save usage-based insurance program can be a great way to generate savings for eligible responsible drivers.
Drive Safe & Save uses a telematics device or your car’s OnStar system to capture real-time data about your driving habits. The better your driving habits, the greater the potential for savings on your auto insurance policy. State Farm says you could save between 5% and 50% on auto insurance with this program.
If you already have a State Farm policy, it’s relatively easy to apply for the Drive Save and Save program online or by speaking with your agent. If you have more than one car on your policy, you will need to register them separately.
It is important to note that this is an optional program that can generate discounts without worrying about overcharging your policy for bad driving habits. Those who participate in the program will receive discounts on the policy with good driving habits. Discounts accumulate and are applied to your account every six months upon renewal of the usage-based policy. So even if you have a âbadâ month or two, you will probably still gain a net saving in the next period.
How does State Farm Drive Safe and Save work?
The free Drive Safe and Save app can integrate seamlessly with your iOS or Android phone. Once downloaded from Google Play or the App Store, State Farm will send you a small beacon, about the size of a quarter, that you stick to your vehicle’s windshield. Follow these simple steps to get your app and install it:
- Text SAVE to 78836 for a link to download the app from Google Play or the App Store. You will only be able to download the application received as a link if your smartphone is compatible.
- Log in to the installed application using your statefarm.com username and password.
- Wait for your Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail a few days after registering.
- When your beacon arrives, take it into the vehicle and follow the app’s easy setup instructions.
- The app is user-friendly and not complicated at all, and you should be up and running in no time.
If your car is equipped with OnStar technology, registration is even easier. With your active OnStar account and the telematics capabilities of this satellite tracking system, your driving habits are shared with State Farm. To register, contact State Farm at 888-559-1922 and give them the details of your OnStar plan, and an agent will quickly register your eligible vehicle.
What does State Farm Drive Safe and Save monitor?
Drive Safe and Save is based on your mileage and driving habits. The app will monitor the number of kilometers driven, as well as several driving characteristics. Among them:
- Acceleration – When you accelerate too fast, you have less control over your car, which could increase your chances of being involved in an accident.
- Braking – Driving at a safe speed is as essential as keeping a good distance between your car and the one in front of you. Drive Safe and Save monitors how fast you brake and rewards you for braking slowly, proving you’ve kept a safe distance, rather than braking quickly to avoid a collision.
- Turn – Telematics can follow fast and tight turns, which are not safe driving behaviors. Fast or tight turns usually show that you are trying to avoid fast approaching cars, which puts you at risk of an accident.
- Speed – If you exceed the speed limit by 8 miles per hour or more, the app takes note. To be considered a safe driver, you must obey all posted speed limits.
- Telephone use – It is an obvious danger on the road, but many people still use their cell phones while driving. Technology can follow as you use your phone, through movement and use of the screen. Avoid using the phone while driving for your safety and help increase your State Farm rebates at the same time.
- Time of the day – If possible, avoid driving in heavy traffic. This includes morning and evening rush hours and night driving.
All of these factors are collected by State Farm and factored into your Drive Safe and Save scores, providing the company with insight into your driving skills. These scores are used to determine your discount percentage. When you drive safely and avoid the traffic hours and night driving, State Farm Drive Safe and Save monitors these variables, which can potentially translate into a decent discount on your auto insurance.
How to save with State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
Every six months, when renewing your usage-based insurance policy, State Farm will use your Drive Safe and Save data to determine your driving safety level. Based on the things it measures – acceleration, braking and other benchmarks – it will give your policy a discount, which can range from 5% to 50%.
For whom is the Drive Safe and Save program a good option?
Responsible drivers can save hundreds of dollars annually on their insurance premiums by opting for the Drive Safe & Save program. By enrolling in low risk driving, you can take advantage of program discounts reflected in your premium.
It could also be a good option for those who want to improve their driving habits. There is minimal risk for you to register. The program does not monitor tickets or traffic stops. In fact, the only way your fares can increase while participating in the program is if you already have the reduction for low mileage driving under 7,500 miles per year and the data shows that you have exceeded it.
Usage-based insurance can also benefit young drivers. If you have a teenager or young adult who has just started driving, this program will give you an informal way of knowing if they are doing well behind the wheel so that you can help them become a safer and more conscientious driver.
Drive Safe and Save FAQs
How does telematics work?
Telematics uses a combination of GPS positioning and on-board diagnostics to determine your location, travel speed, and driver behavior. These factors provide an auto insurer like State Farm with clear data to determine driving habits and assess driver risk.
Can your rates increase with Drive Safe and Save?
Your rate will only increase if your vehicle already has a low mileage reduction (less than 7,500 miles per year) and you exceed it. In such a case, you will lose the discount.
Do all cars in a household have to participate?
This program is vehicle specific and discounts apply individually for each car entered.
How often are discounts calculated?
Your accumulated savings are calculated every six months upon renewal of the usage-based policy. Depending on your driving behavior, your discounts will increase or decrease with each renewal.
How do you assess your program discount?
You can check your accumulated discount on:
- The Drive Safe & Save account page on www.statefarm.com
- Via the State Farm mobile app
- Via the Drive Safe and Save mobile app