Have you ever wondered if being a safe driver could save you money on car insurance? One option that can help lower your premium is State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save program, which is designed to reward safe drivers with discounts on their car insurance. Bankrate has conducted extensive research on the State Farm Drive Safe and Save program. Our review explores the features of the program and can help you decide if this option is right for you.
What is State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
For drivers with state farm auto insurance, the Drive Safe and Save program could be a great opportunity to save money on auto insurance. State Farm reports drivers can get an upfront discount just by signing up and saving up to 30 percent By participating. To get started, drivers can download a mobile app or use the Connected car if you have a 2020 or newer Ford or Lincoln vehicle.
The Drive Safe and Save app gets pretty good reviews, with a rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 on the App Store and 4.2 out of 5.0 from Google Play. Most Drive Safe and Save reviewers note that the app is easy to use and helps them stay on top of their driving habits. However, on both platforms, users complain that the app sometimes incorrectly assesses their driving, especially if they have to take evasive action to avoid a collision.
Whether you use the app or the Connected Car option, State Farm will monitor your driving habits to determine how much you could Save on your car insurance. You can even connect Amazon Alexa to the program to check the Drive Safe and Save discount status and amount. The program is voluntary and drivers who are unable to qualify for a discount due to their driving habits will not be surcharged on their auto insurance policy after the program period.
How does State Farm Drive Safe and Save work?
If you just want to drive and save, State Farm can make it easy for you. The company has designed a car insurance telematics program that tracks certain driving behaviors and rewards you with a discount based on how safe you drive. The free Drive Safe and Save app can be downloaded from Google Play or the App Store. Follow these steps to install it:
- Text ‘REGISTER’ to 42407 for a link to download the app from Google Play or the App Store.
- Log in to the installed app using your statefarm.com user ID and password.
- Drive and see how you score! It’s so easy.
How does Drive Safe and Save work? It’s quite simple: your phone tracks your driving habits and reports them to the app. For this reason, you will need to keep your Bluetooth and location settings while driving.
If you drive a 2020 or newer Ford or Lincoln, you can skip the app and use State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save Connected Car option to enroll in the program:
- Add your vehicle to the “Garage” in the FordPass or Lincoln Way app (depending on your car brand).
- Let your State Farm agent know that you want to enroll in Drive Safe and Save.
- The next time you turn on your car, you should see a chord appear in the vehicle. Complete the form and you will be registered!
What does Drive Safe and Save track?
Now you know how the program works, but what does Drive Safe and Save follow? Drive Safe and Save is both a telematics program and a usage-based program, meaning it tracks your driving habits and the number of miles you drive. The Connected Car app or program will track several characteristics of your driving:
- Acceleration: When you accelerate too fast, you have less control over your car, which could increase your chances of being involved in an accident.
- Braking: Similar to rapid acceleration, braking too hard can be a sign of riskier driving habits. Keeping a reasonable distance from the vehicle in front of you can help you slow down more easily.
- Turn : Telematics can track fast, tight turns, which are not generally considered safe driving behavior. Quick or sharp turns can mean that you have less control of your vehicle, which can lead to accidents.
- The rapidity: Speeding is one of the riskiest driving behaviors and can lead to more frequent and more serious accidents. Driving the speed limit could help you get a higher discount under the Drive Safe and Save program.
- Telephone use: This is an obvious hazard on the road, but unfortunately many people still use their cell phones while driving. Drive Safe and Save technology can track when you use your phone and will reduce the level of cash back you have earned. Avoiding using the phone while driving creates safer roads for everyone and could increase your State Farm Drive Safe and Save discount.
All of these factors are collected by State Farm and factored into your Drive Safe and Save ratings, providing the company with insight into your driving skills. These ratings are used to determine your discount percentage. When you drive safely and avoid hazards like hard braking and speeding, you could potentially qualify for a huge discount on your car insurance.
How do I save with State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
When renewing your policy, State Farm will use your Drive Safe and Save data to determine the safety of your drive. Based on the things it measures – acceleration, braking and other benchmarks – it can assign a discount to your policy, which can be up to 30%.
Is the Drive Safe and Save program right for me?
Responsible drivers could get a significant discount on their insurance premium by opting for the Drive Safe and Save program. By enrolling in low-risk driving, you can benefit from program discounts reflected in your premium.
It could also be a good option for those who want to improve their driving habits, as there is no risk of increased premiums by participating in the program. The program does not monitor fines or traffic stops. If you drive long distances – potentially as part of a daily commute – and have a high annual mileage, you may not qualify for the maximum discount with Drive Safe and Save.
Usage-based insurance can also benefit young drivers. If you have a teen or young adult who’s just started driving, State Farm’s program might give you an informal way to find out how well they’re doing behind the wheel so you can help them become a safer driver. and more aware.
|You are a generally cautious driver.
You drive rarely or for short distances.
You want to improve your driving habits.
|You regularly travel long distances.
You feel uncomfortable letting an app track your driving habits.
You are driving in heavy traffic and you may need to make quick and evasive movements.