WEST — Owners of the Franklin Street Burger King franchise have received the green light from city planning and zoning boards to add a second drive-thru lane.

The planning board unanimously approved the preliminary plans of the JSC management group and gave positive advice to the zoning review board for the company’s application for a special use permit at its meeting on 19 april. The zoning board also approved the permit at its meeting the following day.

In March, the Planning Board asked the company to consider several changes to its plans. At the April 19 meeting, officials said some of the recommendations had been accepted.

“We’ve seen improvements based on some of our feedback,” Board Chairman Justin Hopkins said.

The planned expanded drive-thru is similar to drive-thru areas at other city establishments, Hopkins said.

The company had hoped to create new “green space” by removing the sidewalk at the rear of the restaurant’s parking lot and replacing it with plantings, but the council learned at the April 19 meeting that rental restrictions were making unachievable plans.

“They have no control over the rear area of ​​the parking lot,” said Todd Markevicz of APD Engineering and Architecture, the company contracted by JSC Management Group to work on the project.

The project’s landscape architect, Rebecca Nolan, said efforts will be made to make other parts of the property “greener” now that the back lot space has been ruled out.

“We tried to create more green spaces in the front near the road. I think it will be more valuable because it will green the streetscape,” Nolan said.

Improving the appearance of the property from the roadway is consistent with the city’s work to improve the Highway 1 corridor, Nolan said.

Planning Board member Tabitha Harkin said she was disappointed to learn that rear green space would not be created.

“I wish you had never said you were going to remove part of the parking lot. It was a pretty innovative proposal and it’s depressing to see it being removed,” Harkin said.

The updated plans include additional signs to help motorists through the parking lot, improve pedestrian safety and provide better direction for those leaving the drive-thru not to turn left onto Franklin Street.

Project team members said the increased drive-thru capacity was needed for the restaurant to meet growing demand from customers who demonstrated they did not want to enter the building in the early stages. of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Previous

Manatee County Clerk's Office Hosts 4th Annual Community Drive-Thru Shred Day Event

Next

Controversial Sayville drive-thru approved by city council

Check Also